Ramen Noodles

Ramen Noodles

Thursday, August 25, 2011

An uncomfortable moment in class

Oh that's weird. I just started playing a song on my iTunes, and the ticking of my newly hung clock is ticking in rhythm to the song. How often does THAT happen?! You know, when you're driving, and you actually click the turn signal in time with the song you're listening to.... but the clicks are erratic and way too fast? Just thought I would share in this bizarre occasion.
Congrats! You all survived earthquake 2011!!!  -- Oh, you mean this WASN'T the earthquake of the year? Wow - the articles online sure make it sound that way. My friend Logan shared a link telling of the devestation... there really are no words to describe the horror that people went through: East Coast took on some serious damage!
Today was awkward in my first class because 2 of the ladies are like, 65 years old. And they were telling me about school lunches when they were growing up. One of the women lived in Toyko so she got soup and bread every day (Let's call her Ka), but the other woman lived in Goshogawara and got bread for lunch every day (Let's call her Mu). In the country, the schools could only afford bread and milk for lunches. And THEN IT HAPPENED. The topic I have dreaded most - it was because of the war. It was interesting to hear each of their views, but Mu, the woman who only had bread to eat really said something that struck me:
Back then, Americans can not imagine what our life was like after the war - how much suffering. Because you won, we lost.
I know people (back home) say that they bombed Pearl Harbor so they're at fault too... and that's true in a way. But America didn't suffer. Oh, people died, sure. But the entire country wasn't freezing and starving to death, unlike Japan.
I just sat there dumbfounded - what do you say to something like that? Finally I just muttered that I was really sorry. It took all three of the women 5 minutes to tell me it wasn't my responsibility, so I said I'm apologizing on behalf of my country and it seems Mu doesn't like me very much. I asked Ka, who had the soup and bread for school lunch if she still liked me:
Yes, I still very much like -- I VERY MUCH LOVE YOU!
In the grande scheme of things, both countries did bad things. And my ultimate goal, by coming to this country is to learn how to be a better person. They don't hate us, they don't want revenge. I would like to have that kind of compassion in my heart some day soon.
PS - Mu said she still liked me very much too.... and I still feel guilty.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW--that was powerful. Seems like you handled it really well. I'm proud of you. You are in their country teaching your language--I think we've come a long way!

I always like it when I'm singing a song--get in the car--and the radio is playing that song. I always make a wish.

I was taking my afternoon nap yesterday and I'm proud to say the major earthquake didn't wake me. xoxox aunt jenni (did you see my video on FB?)

Anonymous said...

Great way to handle the subject. War is bad for everyone, I'm glad you didn't try to defend it too much. Sounds like they needed to hear that. Love Mom MILY