Ramen Noodles

Ramen Noodles

Friday, August 19, 2011

A big earthquake today.... IN PUBLIC!

I love how I was PRETTY SURE all of my bills were on automatic withdraw and here I've come to find out NONE OF THEM WERE. People, I came within 3 days of my water being shut off. So today while I was in the bank waiting for the secretary of the school to come and help me pay my bills, a notice came over the TV and it had a little ticker with lots of symbols and 236 running over and over. I finally figured out that meant the time. It was exactly 2:36. The building started to shake, they broke into the baseball game and I got to find out I was experiencing a magnitude 6.8 earthquake IN THE NATIONAL BANK OF AOMORI CITY. So I was sitting there like a FOOL, with my big pool ball eyes (thanks Kat, for that description) staring at the posters behind me that were swaying with intensity. And yes, people were staring at me because I started to get sea sick - and no matter how tight I closed my eyes, the nausea wouldn't go away. It's a terrible feeling because you just sit there and think, 'are we still moving?'
Then the Japan country map popped up and the familiar sight of flashing lines along the coast appeared which meant there was a tsunami warning. In the end, they cancelled the warning, but it was for 50 cm (and since me and math no longer 'hang' I had to find out what that was in AMERICAN on the internet). This wasn't nearly as scary as the earthquake 2 months ago that woke me up at 6:50 in the morning because today's wasn't violent. Just a constant, strong shake. But I still get an adrenaline rush and immediately run up to the first person who speaks English and yell:
"DID YOU FEEL THAT?!?!!???"
Wow I'm so cool . At least I didn't take PICTURES. So, in another week or two, whenever my parents can pencil me in their busy  schedules to chat (I'm just their only child, NO BIG DEAL)... I can tell them about it. But until then, feel honored that you know news before MY OWN PARENTS.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

ahem, I knew there was an earthquake and called you that morning!! I'm not that bad! I just hope there are no earthquakes when we visit!!! Love Mom MILY :)))

Anonymous said...

We're back and I'm ready to start commenting. I will be going backwards in your blog. We've had our water turned off twice (thanks Dale Howard) and it's nothing to be ashamed of. It's a sign that you're a busy person.

Cool that the earthquake hit when you were out and about. Was it more or less scary being with other people? off to the next blog. xoxox Aunt Jenni