Ramen Noodles

Ramen Noodles

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

The worst stuff on earth is...

I'm sorry I'm not able to snap pictures of myself while trying new foods here in Japan. The "mom-aged" ladies of my first class today brought me natto, and it is without doubt the most horrid thing I have ever eaten. First of all, it is exactly like snot from your nose. It tastes like that, it's sticky like that and if you happen to have objects the size of soy beans in your snot, then well you pretty much have natto in your nose. And oh, did these ladies LOVE IT! 4 of them had their cell phones out snapping pictures of one of the ladies stirring it up for me (because I know I wouldn't have eaten it if I had to stir it with soy sauce) and of course my horrific reaction... they pretty much yelled at me to drink my water and the second I swallowed, it came right back up. But then it went down again and ... dear Neptune.
I do honestly wish I had a camera crew with me, because it was a COMPLETE Karl Pilkington moment and it's all I could think about. Get this guy to Aomori. This isn't even the worst Japanese food around.... apparently there is something so foul that you can't cook it in your house or people get very angry because it stinks to high heaven. Before I ever set eyes on natto, I asked one of the ladies what it smelled like.
Her response:
A foot.
I concur with her findings. And yet they LOVE THE STUFF! Honestly, I'd much rather eat a cricket (you know, the BUG) than this crap again - I am dead serious. And it took hours for the urge to puke to go away. They asked me if there was any foods that stink, yet we eat it in America. Only thing I could think of was eggs. YEP. PASS ME THE CHEEZ-ITS, I'M PROUD TO BE AN AMERICAN!!!!

No comments: