Ramen Noodles

Ramen Noodles

Thursday, July 28, 2011

ROYALTY?!?!?!

In 5 days, the biggest holiday of the year hits northern Japan. 3 cities in Aomori hold special festivals - but the longest and grandest of them all is in Aomori City and it's called Nebuta. It's really a smack in the face that I have to work at night during nearly ALL NIGHTS of Nebuta (except Saturday - I took that day OFF) so I kind of asked my last class tonight if they would mind holding class outside next week and we could watch the parade. They LOVED that idea. I mean, the one woman's hand shot straight up and she was hollering "yes yes I vote YESSS!"
As long as we speak English for the most part, it won't be any different than any lesson in class. Tonight we discussed slang words. I told them about a dictionary online that helps with slang... and we discussed Family Guy and Desperate Housewives (Is there any show that isn't a cartoon that's popular in America? My students asked me that tonight. Ha haa.)
In honor of such a huge festival gearing up to start - Japanese royalty came for a visit. Yep, one of Japan's princes (he's like 45 or 50 Mom, so don't freak out like it's Prince William or whoever) came to Aomori City today and I could totally lie and say HE IS SOMEWHERE IN THIS PICTURE:

But that would be lying and as far as I know, he isn't in this picture. Although the car with the flag? HIS CAR!!! SCORE!!!! This is actually right behind my work building. The building on the right... you can only see a hint of brown, is the Nebuta Museum which he visited today. In the background of this picture is the great ship - Hakkoda Maru. And the gray building on the left is a staircase leading to the massive bay bridge. While we're at it - enjoy a picture out my office window:

All the taxi's in the city like to park and wait over to the right. Behind them is the tourist building - where students SWEAR there is an English map - but I've never seen it. Behind THAT is the bus station and on the left is a hotel and some stores as you go further and further away. I should take a picture of Family Mart next!! :)
PS - We had an earthquake tonight and I felt so sea-sick until I got home. I don't like that feeling of swaying... it makes you really dizzy.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It looks so clean. Is that because of the festival or do they always keep it clean? Maybe cincy should have more festivals! xoxo aunt jenni

Anonymous said...

Do they know about Seinfeld? Do they watch any of our shows with translations? Glad they know about cartoons but is that because of the TV there or the teacher ? ;)) Love Mom MILY

Melissa said...

No Japan is ALWAYS this clean... it's weird but kind of nice. I almost feel like I could eat off the street, but I'm not going to try it. And Mom they know about cartoons because of their AWESOME teacher! Duhh!!