Ramen Noodles

Ramen Noodles

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Some differences between America and Japan.

Here's some things I've noticed in my nearly first month here in Japan:

-People DRIVE on the sidewalk. Especially taxis... if they're waiting for someone to call for a cab, they just park on the sidewalk. It's super annoying, trying to dodge cars.
-Fiber doesn't exist here. No Fiber One bars... or anything. Not even wheat bread. Never thought I'd miss fiber as much as I do (wow, do I sound 50 or WHAT?!)
-Streets and sidewalks are spotless. I rarely see trash and have yet to see even 1 yen on the ground.
-I adore my children students. Even the JHS groups who tend to be a bit more rowdy. They're just so funny and love to play games and get candy for rewards :) Kind of like my old students back home... and I miss those JHS kids like WHOA.
-On occasion, I burst into laughter. Especially in a store when I see terrible English that makes absolutely no sense. For example, THIS:

-They're a bit too into EXTREME health. I'm watching a commercial right now for "Placenta 100" pills. Barf. And of course there's JESUS BODY! diet pills:

-People tend to bike way too close to walking people. I accidentally hit one person a week ago with my umbrella because they were behind me and literally zoomed past, 6 inches from me. Personally, I enjoyed accidentally smacking them... serves them right, they are just ASKING for it!
-Everything is just SO CUTE. I can't walk into a store without "Awwwwww"-ing outloud, even if I'm ALONE. It's dangerous because at this time, I need to be saving money - not blowing it all on cute little stuffed animals and keychains and general things I'LL NEVER NEED IN LIFE.

Those are my big observations for Japan vs. America right now. I'll be adding more for sure in the near future! ;)

No comments: