Ramen Noodles

Ramen Noodles

Sunday, May 22, 2011

Please don't send noodles down a water slide in the theater!

It is SUPER late, so I have to keep this short.
Tonight I went to a Japanese movie theater and saw Pirates of the Caribbean 4.
Okay, first - IT WAS IN ENGLISH. It had subtitles, which was kind of annoying and occasionally I found myself glancing at things I couldn't read, but they didn't really get in the way.
Second - I was the only American in the theater and omg people, apparently the Japanese don't laugh at movies. Or they didn't understand ANY of the jokes. THAT actually really bothered me because guess what? I laughed and I was alone in it. WHATEVER.
Third - movies aren't GA in Japan... you get assigned seats which is outrageous and so stupid. My friend reserved ours ahead of time, so we were lucky and got to sit dead center to the screen. But still, part of the joy of movie-going is waiting for an HOUR in a sold out setting. I dunno, at least during midnight screenings of Star Wars and Harry Potter, it's highly entertaining.
Fourth - All the previews were American movies and all were in English with the exception of Cars 2, which is apparently dubbed. PEOPLE, THEY SHOWED THE FINAL HARRY POTTER TRAILER!!
Fifth - okay, how to behave in a Japanese theater as explained in a happy cartoon complete with LOUD buzzer signaling "NO" before the start of the movie:
- Using a cell phone
- Eating too loudly
- Video taping the movie
- Don't DOWNLOAD the movie at home
- Talking to other people
- Cuddling and other romantic activities (this was classic)
- Sending ramen down a chute of water... seriously, they showed this! I WAS DYING.
 And lastly - Japan keeps their rooms on a stifling hot setting. These people must be cold 24/7 no matter what temperature it is outside. It was without doubt, the most uncomfortable movie I've ever sat through. But, still fun :)

No comments: