Ramen Noodles

Ramen Noodles

Thursday, January 12, 2012

Is it the same in the US?

Tonight one of my students had some big time questions for me at the business class. He's going to the US in four days and his questions were so hilarious that my mom may cry because they're like, what a child would ask.
My favorite was when he told me about how you cannot take all of your bags with you on the plane, and in Japan you have someone else put them on and then you go to pick them up after you land.
Do they do that in the US too?
Nope, you take it all with you.
His eyes got really wide and then I felt kind of guilty.

The other questions were normal, like what kind of foods should he try. (He doesn't know what a burrito or taco is, which is a crime against humanity) He was very confused when we covered tipping and I told him you always tip the waiter but he thought you tipped them as soon as you sat down. He also thought you literally tipped EVERYONE.
Something else - that not just he, but everyone worries about: Is it safe to walk at night?
I told him unless he was near the LA airport at night, he would be fine. And he'd be especially fine in Cleveland. People here TRULY believe that every single person has a gun in the US and that we're wielding them at all hours. THAT is sad, like beyond sad that this is the reputation America puts out.
Then he was asking me security questions and he could not believe that you have to take your shoes off. He was panicked about the security questions.
He kept saying he was scared that he wouldn't understand when the others spoke so I gave him an example of real time English speaking and he got that deer in the headlight look and I told him when that happens you need to say 'I'm sorry, could you slow down?' Gave him the example of my mom and EVERY CLASS.
And then I told him if he had any problems there to e-mail me. Hopefully in 2 weeks I'll find out it he succeeded!

Next blog entry: Snow pictures in the country. But no people. Sorry.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Can't believe they don't have tighter airline security in Tokyo. Wow, does that mean you can take a water bottle from home on your flight? Now that's livin'!

I feel so sorry for him but glad he has you to help him. Give America a few more years and every person will have a gun!
xoxox aunt jenni