Ramen Noodles

Ramen Noodles

Thursday, October 6, 2011

HARRO?!

Ah, I remember thinking 'I have to write about this when I get home tonight.' earlier today.
At this point, I am very used to people staring at me. Occasionally they try to say 'hi,' which I usually tolerate. Such was the case today: but I can't lie - I never looked at the guy. I was going down the escalator to get on my second train and he was coming up into the station. And I heard him yell "GAIJIN!"(it's means foreigner) and then he yelled "Hello!!"
And I didn't move.
So then he SCREAMED "HELLO??!!!!"
I didn't even flinch.
I heard him mutter something in Japanese and I just rolled my eyes. First of all, I was trying to nap on the inbound train, and that's not easy.... anytime you start falling (literally, we've all  been there), the train lurches or blows the horn and you're violently made aware of your situation. So I was exhausted. And secondly, I'm tried of being noticed. SO TIRED OF IT. Most people are not as bold as this guy, but that's the kind of crap I don't want - ESPECIALLY IN THE MIDDLE OF A VERY CROWDED TRAIN STATION. As shocking as it may seem to these people, I am not an animal and I do not belong in a zoo. Please don't act as if you've seen a wild lion walking through Hirosaki station.
It's embarrassing (maybe more so for him) since I didn't even give him a glance. In my mind I was loudly shouting that I was French since I wouldn't pass for Spanish - it just draws even more unwanted attention. I can't wait to go home and NOT have people look at me. Seriously, if you even think of telling me I look great/hideous, I will smack you in the face.
A simple, 'I missed you!!' will suffice.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG That sucks royally! I think you showed great restraint in the fact that you didn't lower yourself to his level. :( Sorry!

Anonymous said...

Oh...that post above was from Erin! That should give you a laugh that I forgot how to do this! Old age strikes again!

Anonymous said...

From mom-be CAREFUL. I worry that you might upset someone who would decide to follow you and God knows what. At least, that is what would happen in the good ol US of A!! Just nod. I know I will when I get there!!! LOVE MOM MILY